Eggnog Truffles with white Chocolate Recipe
These truffles do actually have egg nog in them, you would be surprised how many recipes I found that didn’t. The egg nog is mixed with white chocolate and then rolled and dipped in more white chocolate. For the first time ever I tempered chocolate. I was so proud of myself. The tempered chocolate gives them a nice crack when you bite in, followed by the smooth center.
Oh and these totally freeze well which means you can make extra and hide them in the freezer
from your family until Christmas.
In a large bowl place 12 oz of chopped white chocolate or white chocolate chips. Set aside.
In a small saucepan whisk together cream cheese and eggnog over medium heat until smooth.
Pour eggnog mixture over white chocolate.
Mix until all the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. You will probably have to give the chocolate some help melting by putting it in the microwave or over a double boiler.
Next pour mixture on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and smooth out. Place in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
Now, roll into balls and put back in the fridge until firm.
Time to temper the chocolate. Place another 10-12 oz of white chocolate in a narrowish deep bowl (measuring cups like this work perfectly) and take out 25-30%. Heat chocolate to between 105F and 113F. Then add your 25-30% you set aside and stir until it reaches 84-87 F.
Dip balls in chocolate and let set.
Eggnog Truffles Recipe
- 12 oz chopped white chocolate or 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 2 oz cream cheese – room temp
- 1/2 c egg nog
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 12 oz chopped white chocolate or 2 c white chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place chocolate in a medium microwavable bowl. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan combined egg nog, nutmeg and cream cheese. Over medium heat whisk together until smooth. Just as it begins to boil remove and pour directly over chocolate. Let sit 2 minutes and stir. If the chocolate doesn’t all melt, which it probably won’t heat in microwave over 50% heat stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
- Pour onto your baking sheet and smooth out until about 1/2 an inch thick. Place in fridge until chilled and firm, about 3 hours.
- Once firm remove from the fridge and cut into approx. 2×2 inch pieces. Roll into balls, you want about a rounded tablespoon about for each ball. If the mixture starts to get soft put back in the fridge for a couple minutes. I had to roll in 2 batches. Once rolled place back in the fridge until firm.
- To temper your chocolate for coating place your 12 oz of white chocolate in a deep narrow container, like a glass measuring cup. Remove 25-30% of the chocolate and set aside.
- Take your remaining chocolate and melt in the microwave on 50% power stirring every minute and then every 30 seconds once it starts getting smooth until it reaches 105-113 F.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in your 25-30% remaining chocolate. Continue to stir until your chocolate reaches 84-87 F.
- Take your rolled truffles out of the fridge and on a fork dip into the tempered chocolate, tapping the fork against the side of the bowl/measuring cup to remove excess chocolate. Place dipped truffles back on the parchment paper. Sprinkle with nutmeg or add some embellishments with the excess chocolate.
- Store in an airtight container or in the freezer.